Today I had my first winter sip of mulled wine and it was delicious, Christmas in a glass.
I found a quick and simple recipe on the BBC food website that I will be testing out. Fingers crossed it tastes as good as the shop bought stuff, although I admit I’m no Jamie Oliver.
Try it, just steady on the quantities, home-made brew can be lethal ….
- 1 bottle red wine
- 60g/2oz demerara sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- grated nutmeg
- 1 orange, halved
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 60ml/2fl oz sloe or damson gin (optional)
- Put the wine in a saucepan with the orange, sugar, bayleaf and the spices.
- Heat gently until the sugar has dissolved. Taste to see if you want the wine sweeter, and add more sugar to taste.
- Off the heat, stir in the sloe or damson gin if you are using it.
- Strain into heatproof glasses and serve at once.